Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Hush, Hush: A book Review

Genre: Mystery/Fantasy
Reading Level: ages 13 and up

Summary: Romance was not part of Nora Grey's plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how hard her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Patch draws Nora to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is and seems to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For she is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those who have fallen -- and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost Nora her life.

My Review: I don't know why this book is called Hush, hush. It's not particularly quite or relaxing like the title implies. The cover and font are awesome though. Ahhh I gotta say, I loved this book. It is my guilty pleasure. I had so much fun reading it it's not even funny. :P

Okay seriously it isn't the most amazing book ever. The romance, oh gawd the romance was so unbelievable. I didn't for one second truly believe Patch loved Nora. As for Nora she was only mildly infatuated with the boy. She didn't love him though. Becca will definitely have to work on writing a well developed romance in the future. This one started out slow and then BAM~! Insta-love. Also Nora was pretty sure for most of the book that Patch was out to kill her so um, I'm not sure how that endeared him to her. One of the many problems of Teen romances today. Girls are just willing to throw themselves at any psychopath they cross.

Other than that I actually quite liked Patch and Nora. They we're both fun characters. I liked Nora for the pseudo detective skills she showed, but truthfully she was a bit indecisive which was at times annoying. I loved it when she wanted to solve the mysteries surrounding her life, and I found it relatable how every time something odd happened she was pretty sure she was going nuts instead of instantly thinking "oh gosh that boy must be a fallen angel out to kill me" although she did google it. Seriously what's with google and finding out peoples secrets. I mean if I thought someone I knew was a paranormal being I wouldn't google it and then accept it as fact. Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true. Now on to Patch. Number one, that name is weird. You get used to it, but it's still weird for a romantic lead. His last name (Cipriano) is awesome though. I've heard Patch described as a brooding bad boy. I feel this is a terribly wrong description of him. He doesn't brood. He's annoying. He's the get all up in your face bad boy type. I actually enjoyed that switch. His banter with Nora is quite funny, I found myself grinning at certain parts. I liked Patch. He was funny, psychopathic, and annoying, and never pretended to be anything else. In real life I would hate him. But not in a book. Vee Sky, Nora's friend was a fun sidekick I enjoyed reading about her, and I thought she went well with Nora. It's nice to see heroines with friends they care about. There we're actually a few bad guys in this novel, I won't disclose who they all are here because River Song would never forgive me but I enjoyed them all and found them sufficiently evil. :P

Now for the part I particularly enjoyed. I thought Becca did a great job with the mystery and suspense bits. I really enjoyed watching the mystery unfold throughout the book. Of course you know Patch is a fallen angel. The covers a dead giveaway. What you don't know is who is trying to kill Nora, and why. Unlike Twilight the plot didn't arrive in the last few chapters. It was there from the beginning and was what drew me in immediately and kept me reading.

Which brings me to the Angel lore. It wasn't fully developed in this book. There we're bit's and pieces here and there but I'd didn't completely grasp it, even at the end. I'm guessing more will be discussed in book 2 and 3. I'll have to wait a while to read Crescendo though. The waiting list at the library is over half a year. *sigh*


1 comment:

  1. Great review! Even when books don't meet your expectations or standards you make them sound so intriguing with your balanced descriptions. :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't hesitate to leave a comment I love hearing from you~! Because I am terrible at remembering to give out awards after people graciously give them to me, I have now made my blog an award free zone like so many others. I thank you for thinking of me though.