Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Characters I'd name my Children After: Top Ten Tuesday (Feb.08)

It's time for another Top Ten Tuesday and this weeks question is: Top Ten Characters (and literary figures) you'd name your children after. Oh dear.

Truthfully I probably wouldn't my children half of these names, but they are names I have thought of for my fictional children (you know, the characters in your head) so here it goes.

1. Nora Grey/Nora Charles (Hush hush by Becca Fitzpatrick, The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammet) I love the name Nora. It sounds very dark, sophisticated, and romantic. I put up both Nora Grey and Nora Charles because they both have such perfectly fitted last names with their first (in my opinion) and because despite their faults (I'm talking to you Nora Grey) I am rawther fond of both of them.

2. Algernon Montcrieff (The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde) I'd never name my child Algernon. It means with mustache. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I've seen severely lovely mustaches in my time, it's just such a random thing to name your child. :D But I like saying it. Try saying it, Algernon, it's quite funny yet, somewhat serious. I also like the nickname "Algy" makes me think of the ocean. :D

3. Edmund Pevensie (Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis) Edmund is one of my favorite CON characters, mostly because he is one of the few characters to actually have any sort of emotional growth (mostly for the sake of Lewis's allegory no doubt) but I've always liked the name, it just sounds nice to me.

4. Jasvinder "Jazz" Dhillon (Bindi Babes by Narinder Dhami) I would like to marry an Indian man, just so I could name my children one of their lovely names. I particularly like Jasvinder it means "Lord's glory" which in and of itself if beautiful. It also has a fantastic nickname "Jazz".

5. Tabitha Ruth "Turtle" Wexler (The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin) Like I said in post for Top Ten Female Characters I Admire I love this name because it is pretty much the only characters I've seen in a book with the same first name as me. I wouldn't name my child Tabitha, that would be narcissistic. :P I still love it though. I also think Turtle is a funny nickname, and quite original.

6. Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling) gotta love Luna, that's all I'm saying. Also the name Luna means "moon" and the moon reminds me of my mother.

7. Klaus Baudelaire (Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket) I was never sure how to pronounce this name until the movie. I liked it much better than the way I had been pronouncing it. :P

8. Oliver Twist (Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens) I like the name Oliver. I don't know why. I think it sounds cute though.

9. Milo (The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster) Again, it sounds cute to me nothing besides that.

and last but certainly, absolutely, and positively not least is:

10: Isaac (Abraham's son from the Bible) I love the name Isaac, I will name one of my sons Isaac, I think it is the most beautiful name ever. It means "laughter" basically, and I love to hear people laugh, I dearly love to laugh, and look forward to hearing my son laugh. So it has a lot of meaning for me, and I saved it as number ten because I wanted to end my post with my favorite name. :D

5 comments:

  1. I love the name Nora. My top would probably be Lyra...though I don't know if I would actaully name my child that.

    demitrialunetta.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! My number one all time favorite name ever has been Isaac since i can remember. i'm not sure what it is but it's pure perfection for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got Nora Charles and Klaus Baudelaire too!

    Also, you win for Edmund and Luna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore the name Isaac too. I think what I really like is the two a's together. Ha ha. I'm pretty big on the way words look. :)

    Algernon and Edmund are great names too! Nice list :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't hesitate to leave a comment I love hearing from you~! Because I am terrible at remembering to give out awards after people graciously give them to me, I have now made my blog an award free zone like so many others. I thank you for thinking of me though.