Thursday, December 24, 2009

Prada and Prejudice: A Book Review

Title: Prada and Prejudice

Author: Mandy Hubbard

Genre: Romance

Reading Level: 13 and up

Summary:

Fifteen-year-old Callie buys a pair of real Prada pumps to impress the cool crowd on a school trip to London. Goodbye, Callie the clumsy geek-girl, hello popularity! But before she knows what’s hit her, Callie wobbles, trips, conks her head… and wakes up in the year 1815!

She stumbles about until she meets the kind-hearted Emily, who takes Callie in, mistaking her for a long-lost friend. Sparks soon fly between Callie and Emily’s cousin, Alex, the maddeningly handsome—though totally arrogant—Duke of Harksbury. Too bad he seems to have something sinister up his ruffled sleeve…

From face-planting off velvet piano benches and hiding behind claw-foot couches to streaking through the estate halls wearing nothing but an itchy blanket, Callie’s curiosity about Alex creates all kinds of trouble.

But the grandfather clock is ticking on her 19th Century shenanigans. Can Callie save Emily from a dire engagement, win a kiss from Alex, and prove to herself that she’s more than just a loud-mouth klutz before her time there is up?

My Review: Like so many books I pick up this one had potential to be good. Unfortunately the main character doesn't stop whining and going on about the "amazingly hot" Alex long enough for you to enjoy it. Maybe I'm just not suited for mainstream romances. I got all the references to Pride and Prejudice the author threw in but Callie and Alex, are no Lizzie and Darcy, they don't have the spark that Lizzie and Darcy did and they have no chemistry. I really didn't care if they got together or not. In fact I was more rooting for not. Emily Callie's friend was cute, but I also didn't care too much about her storyline either. Callie also goes through the "becoming a stronger women" transformation, but it's just not as interesting and gripping as other ones I've read. What I did enjoy about the book was this, all the references to life in the 1815's and that Callie actually enjoyed being there. The part where she teaches two little boys the robot dance was also pretty funny. The writing was okay, it just didn't have enough substance or originality in Callie's voice for me to like it.

Content: References to ruining a girls reputation.

Rating: 2.5 stars out of 5

Recommend: No.

Upcoming Review: Hannah (Daughters of the Sea Book 1) by Kathryn Lasky

3 comments:

  1. Wow, your review on this is so informative! I will never pick this book up! lol I hate unfaithful modern adaptation types! Movies and books. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah. It was pretty horrible. I told mommy I sacrifice myself for the good of humanity and read these books so I can warn everyone else not to. (;

    ReplyDelete

Don't hesitate to leave a comment I love hearing from you~! Because I am terrible at remembering to give out awards after people graciously give them to me, I have now made my blog an award free zone like so many others. I thank you for thinking of me though.