Thursday, October 22, 2009

What I Meant...A Review


Title: What I Meant...
Author: Marie Lamba
Genre: Young Adult Realistic Fiction
Age Group: 13+
Pages: 320
I read this book about two months ago and I wanted to write a review, but I forgot so I thought, now's as good a time as ever.

Summary:
After a series of misunderstanding 15 year old Sangeet Jumnal find herself in a mess of problems, of which include the sudden frosty behavior of her best friend, her sister thinking she's a thief, and her parents under the impression that she is bulimic. While she tries to juggle these difficulties, she's also dealing with her dad's witchy sister in law who's ruining her family life, and the prospect of asking her parents if she is allowed to date yet or not.

My Review:
I read this book in one day. I couldn't put it down. Marie Lamba's debut novel is very compelling, the story pulls you in within the first 3 chapters. Sangeet's problems are real, and they are very frustrating. You feel for her and the struggles she goes through as she tries to deal as best she can with the hectic changes that are happening in her life. Marie has such a great way of telling the story. She has made a great cast of characters, you love the ones you're suppose to and hate the villain as much as the main character. While I was reading it I must admit I was very frazzled over what was going on in Sangeet's life and wanted desperately to find out how it would all be resolved. It was only after I had finished reading it that I had time to really think about it, and decide that i had really enjoyed it. There are the usual story lines, like the cute boy, and the slightly geeky boy who both hold affections for our heroine, but if you already think you know how it will end, let's just say Marie has some nice twists to her story that are realistic and satisfying.
Content: Some Language and Thematic Elements
Rating: 3 and a half stars out of 5
Recommend: definitely try it out if it sounds like something you'd enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't hesitate to leave a comment I love hearing from you~! Because I am terrible at remembering to give out awards after people graciously give them to me, I have now made my blog an award free zone like so many others. I thank you for thinking of me though.