Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Gilda Joyce: The Ghost Sonata: A Book Review


Wow, I feel so much better now. I am Penelope in "Bye Bye Birdie". It's a small part but I couldn't be happier. I just had to know. (; Okay now on with the important things in life: books! I'm trying to write this but my cat thinks my arms should be his chin rest, and won't leave me alone. He's a persistent little guy. Anyway, I digress, we should be talking about Gilda Joyce, and what can I say, this series is so much fun. I love ghost stories, and mysteries and that's just what the Gilda Joyce series is. I bought this one a year ago, I have the two others in the series "Gilda Joyce Psychic Investigator" and "Gilda Joyce: Ladies of the Lake" and I didn't even know more had been published, so when I saw this on the shelves I quickly grabbed it.

Title: Gilda Joyce: The Ghost Sonata
Author: Jennifer Allison
Genre: Paranormal Mystery
Reading Level: 12 and up

Summary:
Gilda Joyce, psychic investigator and women of style follows her friend Wendy Choy across the ocean to England where she is competing in an international piano competition. There her usually calm and sophisticated friend starts to loose control and is being haunted by a strange melody, tarot cards, and the number 9. Is this the work of a ghost, and can Gilda Joyce solve the mystery and save her friend?

My Review: Usually when books or movies in a series get set in England there not so good. Not so with Gilda, this is an excellent addition to the series. I like how Jennifer is letting the readers now solve the case along with the heroine. There are tons of clues you can pick up for yourself and that allows you to point your finger at the culprit before the last few chapters reveal them. It was lot's of fun to read. Jennifer writes it in the third person(in a voice which is always entertaining) but Gilda's personal psychic journal entries are sprinkled throughout the narrative and you get to hear her hilarious and imaginative thoughts. Wendy has been a character we don't see much of in the first two books even though she's the best friend, but in this installment she proves that she is the best "Gus" for Gilda's "Shawn". I definitely can't wait to see this duo more in the next book. some of the added characters were good but others, like Gilda's "love interest" Julian, were forgettable and added little to the story except a cute conversations between Gilda and her standoffish brother Stephen.
Content: very little language, some disturbing ideas
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Recommend: yes, it's the best in the series so far.

That's all for today fellow readers, if I've peaked your interest and you want to read this novel don't forget to check out the other two.
happy reading,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't hesitate to leave a comment I love hearing from you~! Because I am terrible at remembering to give out awards after people graciously give them to me, I have now made my blog an award free zone like so many others. I thank you for thinking of me though.