Saturday, September 3, 2011

Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children: A Book Review

Author: Ransom Riggs
Genre: Fantasy
Summary: A mysterious island.

An abandoned orphanage.

A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography,Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

My Review: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children was a well written, and overall interesting novel, I felt some words were overused but I can overlook this little offense.

Some of the characters were interesting, and I enjoyed the "peculiar" aspects of certain characters that I can't give away as they are plot points.

I however was not particularly fond of the novel as a whole. I felt the middle was dragging, so many things I found unnecessary I was forced to read through as I impatiently waited for the real important bits of the book to come up, and the relationships between the characters felt rushed and forced.

Then there's the bad guys. They were built up to be quite fearsome, but I only saw flashes of them in the beginning of the novel and then at the end, and I wasn't particularly scared of them, although my lady like constitution was quite upset over an episode involving them and a pack of innocent sheep.

Unfortunately for me many little plot twists were rather predictable. I wasn't very shocked when certain "reveals" came up as I saw them coming all along and I feel that the observant reader would have the same experience. In the end the novel just left me disappointed.

Content: lots of language, and violence

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Recommend: People who like quirky fantasies




2 comments:

  1. Hmmm I do like quirky fantasies, so this does sound like a right book for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did like the book a bit more than you (my thoughts: http://manoflabook.com/wp/?p=3122). I thought it was is a whim­si­cal tale with a unique premise and kept in mind its intended audience.

    I'm actually looking more to read about Jacob's grandfather.

    Did you get the feeling, like me, that this was intended to be the first of a series?

    ReplyDelete

Don't hesitate to leave a comment I love hearing from you~! Because I am terrible at remembering to give out awards after people graciously give them to me, I have now made my blog an award free zone like so many others. I thank you for thinking of me though.