Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Bit of a Problem

I haven't been doing a lot of reading lately. I'm not sure why, but every so often, well at least once a year I have a reading dry spell, as I like to call it, where I can never decided on a book to settle down with and read. My moods jump about and I'm never sure what genre I'll be interested in. It usually only takes one book to jump start me back into reading. But so far, I haven't found it yet. I am reading Sherlock Holmes though, it's the only thing I can read, but I think that's because I've been watching BBC's "Sherlock" lately. I know. That's an inspired title, how long did it take them to come up with that one. Anyway, despite the "We're only using the first name to separate our show from all the others" title, I have really come to enjoy it. It's an updated version of the famed detective. Updated here meaning it actually takes place in the 21st century. I enjoy the acting, by two men who are really good, and play the part of Holmes and Watson extremely well,but who's names I've forgotten and am now too lazy to google. But I figure if you're curious enough, you'll go look it up yourself. It's worth it, for the mystery and SH fans. Really. The mysteries are clever, the script is witty, the cast plays well off each other, and I'll reserve my ultimate judegement of Moriarty for the second series, as he only appaered once in the 1st in a very short scene were It sounded like he had cotton balls stuck in his throat.
But I digress...severely. But the point is, that if you have had a similar problem with reading, I would be greatly obliged if you could recommend any books you have read that jump started you back into reading. I don't count SH here because I'm reading it and it's not making me want to read other books, like jump start books should. Thanks for reading this rambling post, well if you did. If you didn't then, that's okay too.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your dry spell. I hate when that happens to me. I don't really have any tried & true, sure-fire jump start books. What I usually do is go to a an old friend (say a Dorothy L Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey book) and remind myself how pleasurable reading is. Sometimes it will work that I happen to find a new book by an author I know I love...but it's hard to count on that coinciding with a dry spell. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this experience with us- I think its something all avid reader's go through. When it happens to me, I just stop reading altogether and focus on something else, and soon enough I'm ready to read with zest again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: I've given you a blogging award! Stop by to claim it: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2010/09/my-first-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Don't hesitate to leave a comment I love hearing from you~! Because I am terrible at remembering to give out awards after people graciously give them to me, I have now made my blog an award free zone like so many others. I thank you for thinking of me though.